Wednesday, February 20, 2008

Almost Time to Journey Home...


Although it is hard to believe, our incredible Antarctic journey is drawing to a close.


Tonight we begin our transit backtowards McMurdo Station. Once there, we will disembark the Nathaniel B. Palmer, which has been our home for the last six weeks in the Southern Ocean.

Leaving Antarctica will be bittersweet; not knowing if I will ever have the opportunity to return and leaving scientists and crew who have become good friends during our time here. On the other hand, I am looking forward to being home again, and to resuming my own research and studies at Stony Brook University. I feel that I have a renewed vigor for conducting my own scientific research and advancing myself as a marine scientist.

This cruise has been a remarkable experience. Ever sinceI first learned of Antarctica, I had dreamed of coming here, but never thought that it would be possible. This trip has exceeded my expectations, and surpassed even my wildest dreams. I have experienced things that I never thought possible.

Antarctica is truly a special, almost magical, place. The massive effort and time that it takes to make travel to Antarctica possible is well-justified. Many of the scientists and crew who work here return regularly, and for good reason. I, too, hope that this is not my last visit to Antarctica, but I am taking a lifetime's worth of memories from this far-off , magical place, just in case.



Thank you for joining me on this incredible journey.




3 comments:

Anonymous said...

so, how's that turducken coming along? :)

Marianne E. McNamara said...

In case you ever check back here, the turducken was a huge success! We ordered it from Hebert's and it was delicious! Not a bite left and Thanksgiving will never be the same without it (even if we had it the week before Halloween...)

kc said...

hey! i got an email about the comment you posted! glad to hear the turducken was a hit. ordering from hebert's was the way to go.. i can't imagine trying to make one of those! how are things with you? (my email is kristiecornell@hotmail.com if you want to drop me a line..)